Thursday, 19 October 2017

Secondary Research on A Hero’s Journey





In this, I researched what the theory of A Hero’s Journey was, here I found out who came up with the theory, who was Joseph Campbell, and what it was about. We were put into groups so that we could present a minimum of six minute presentation about the theory.

To the right is the stages of the hero’s journey according to the theory. In act 1, it starts with an introduction to protagonist’s world, then the hero is called into action, next they cross the threshold. Then in act 2, the hero then has a mentor who teaches them, then the hero gets to their first challenge, they are next tempted with something such as money, fame or even to be back with a dead loved one, after that the hero has a dark moment. In act 3, the hero is then faced with the final conflict and then return home to their family and friends.
 (http://www.movieoutline.com/articles/the-hero-journey-mythic-structure-of-joseph-campbell-monomyth.html)
(http://www.thewritersjourney.com/hero%27s_journey.htm)
(http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheHerosJourney)

After finding out what the Hero’s journey was, I then linked it up with examples from Arrival, to see if it theory fit with the storyline of it. I found that it was better for me to rewatch the film and make a note of things I spotted which linked in with The Hero’s Journey Theory. I then collected information of quotes and what other people thought of the film. I also researched the summary of the film and linked what was said on there to the theory.
(http://m.imdb.com/title/tt2543164/quotes)
(https://briandoddonleadership.com/2016/11/12/14-leadership-quotes-and-lessons-from-arrival-the-movie/)

This is a form of secondary research as the information was already existed, and so all I needed to do was sipher the relevant information for it. You can find my findings for this in my presentation on The Hero’s Journey.



No comments:

Post a Comment